What to Do if You’re in a Motorcycle Accident in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?
No matter what time of year it is, Louisiana is a perfect place to ride a motorcycle. It’s warm out and, if you can tolerate the humidity, ideal to take the bike out on the highway. When more motorcycles are on the road, that means more motorcycle accidents. Your Baton Rouge motorcycle accident lawyer understands this. He represents dozens of clients every year who’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident.
We can’t be sure exactly what causes a motorcycle accident. They can be caused by all sorts of things. But, for the most part, they’re called by something called negligence. Negligence just means that someone didn’t do what they should have and you were hurt as a result.
If you get injured in a motorcycle accident, your Baton Rouge trial lawyer will have to prove four (4) things:
- The other driver owed you a certain duty of care
- They breached this duty
- This breach caused the accident
- You were injured as a result
There are lots of ways your lawyer can do this. Thankfully, he has the experience to know what it takes to prove a negligence case. He’ll use things like the following types of evidence:
- Eye witness testimony
- Signed affidavits from both drivers
- Subpoena any dashcam or intersection video recordings
- The other driver’s history and driving records
- Accident recreation experts who will use the police report and other pictures to prove causation
If your trial lawyer is able to prove these four (4) elements of negligence, you should be entitled to compensation. How much you receive really depends on how bad your injuries were.
Contact an Experienced Trial Lawyer if You Want to Get Paid
Unfortunately, most motorcycle accidents cause pretty serious injuries. Your Baton Rouge trial lawyer will make it his goal to get you as much compensation for your injuries as possible. Some of these damages include:
Most motorcycle accident victims end up out of work for weeks or even months. This is because your injuries will probably require surgery and physical therapy. It takes a long time to recover from these types of injuries. You’re entitled to be reimbursed for all of the lost wages you suffered as a result of the accident.
Your trial lawyer in Louisiana is going to make sure your medical bills are covered. As long as they were related to your accident injuries, the defendant should be responsible for your medical bills. These bills may include:
- Emergency room visit
- Ambulance transport
- Medications and prescriptions
- Co-pays for doctor’s visits
- Tests such as x-rays, MRIs, and CT scans
- Medical equipment (such as a wheelchair, hospital bed, crutches, etc.)
If you get into a motorcycle accident in Louisiana, you can bet your bike will be damaged. It may even be destroyed. The defendant is responsible for the money it takes to repair or replace your motorcycle.
Lost Future Earnings:
Chances are, you won’t be able to do the same kind of work that you did before the accident. This is even more true for people who did physical labor. In order to determine how much in future earnings you deserve, the court will look at:
- Look at how much you earned before the accident
- Find out the difference between this amount and the amount paid by disability
- Determine how many more years you would have worked
- Multiply the years you would have worked by the difference in income
- Account for inflation
Your Baton Rouge motorcycle accident lawyer knows how to prove all of these things. He’ll fight to get you as much as possible.
Pain and Suffering:
Injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents are usually pretty serious. This means you’ll deal with a lot of pain and suffering. You’re entitled to recover damages for this pain and suffering.
To calculate pain and suffering, your trial attorney is going to use different types of evidence. Some of this evidence includes:
- How much pain are you in?
- Are there activities you can no longer enjoy because of your injuries
- Are you able to enjoy relations with your spouse?
- Did you play sports before the accident that you can’t play now?
- Are you unable to interact with your family the way you used to?
Call a Baton Rouge Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
If you’re involved in a motorcycle accident in Louisiana, you need to call a Baton Rouge motorcycle accident lawyer. He can review your case and let you know what it’s worth. He can also answer any questions you may have.
Call and schedule your free initial consultation today. You pay nothing until you settle your case.