What are the Benefits to Settling Your Car Accident Lawsuit in Baton Rouge?
People get into car accidents every day. We see them on our way to work or school. We look at the people standing next to their cars with pity. We say a little prayer for them and thank our lucky stars that it didn’t happen to us. But what if it does happen to you? Would you know what to do if you get into a car accident in Baton Rouge? Probably not. This is why you should call an experienced Baton Rouge car wreck lawyer.
Accident lawyers in Louisiana handle dozens of these cases every year. They know what it takes to get their clients the compensation they deserve. Usually, they do this by negotiating a settlement with the other party.
Nobody wants to go to trial. They’re expensive and time consuming. You also take the risk of losing if you go to trial. You never know how a jury or judge will feel about your case. Even if you’re sure you weren’t at fault, anything can happen.
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you should call and speak with a skilled car wreck lawyer in Baton Rouge.
How Does Your Car Wreck Lawyer Negotiate a Settlement of Your Claim?
There’s an art to settling car accident lawsuits. The goal is to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company so you don’t have to file a lawsuit. Lawsuits can become expensive. They can also take months or years to go to trial.
Your car wreck lawyer in Baton Rouge will reach out to the insurance adjuster handling your claim. They’ll find out what the current status of your claim is. If the claim is going to be paid, they won’t have to do much. You’ll get your check in a week or two.
If your claim has been denied, that’s a whole different story. The first thing your attorney will do is find out why it was denied. It could’ve been denied for any number of reasons, including:
- The policy wasn’t valid or had lapsed for non-payment
- The driver wasn’t listed on the policy
- You didn’t file your claim in time
- The insurance company doesn’t believe you were hurt
- They think you caused the accident
- You have a history of filing false claims
If any of these apply to your case, your lawyer will have to try to convince the insurance adjuster to pay your claim. If they’re not willing to do this, you’ll have no choice but to file a lawsuit. However, most insurance companies are willing to discuss a possible settlement with another attorney.
Can You Try to Settle Your Claim Yourself?
There is no law that says you have to hire a car wreck lawyer. You can handle your claim yourself if you want to. However, this isn’t always the best idea. There are several reasons why you’ll be at a disadvantage if you try to handle your case yourself:
- The insurance adjuster won’t take you seriously. They probably won’t return your calls or emails. They’ll probably deal with you by mail which just drags out the process.
- The insurance company may offer you a low-ball settlement. They’ll also ask you to sign a settlement release. Never sign this release without having an experienced car accident lawyer look at it. You have no idea what rights you’re signing away.
- You don’t have the negotiation skills that your lawyer has. Even if you’re a successful salesman or business person, that doesn’t mean you know how to handle a legal negotiation. Attorneys spend years learning how to do this.
Your Baton Rouge car accident attorney will fight hard to get you as much money as possible. They’ll also try to get your case resolved as quickly as possible.
What are the Benefits to Settling Your Case?
While you may be tempted to hold out and take your case to trial, this isn’t always the best idea. There are many benefits to settling. Some of these are:
- You’ll get guaranteed money
- Your case will resolve a lot faster than if you go to trial
- You avoid the costs associated with a trial
- You won’t have to worry about losing in court
- You’ll get your money a lot faster
- You won’t have to worry about executing on a judgment that may be worthless
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, call Babcock Trial Lawyers and schedule a free consultation with an experienced car wreck lawyer in Baton Rouge. And remember – you pay nothing until you settle your case.