If You Get into a Car Accident in Louisiana, Are You Automatically Entitled to Damages?
A lot of people think that, if they get into a car accident in Louisiana, they’re automatically entitled to damages. They don’t realize that you have to prove two things in order to recover against the other driver. First, your Baton Rouge accident attorney needs to prove that you were injured. Second, you need to prove that the other driver was at fault.
Just getting into an accident isn’t enough to warrant damages. If you don’t suffer any actual injuries, you won’t be entitled to a dime. And, if you caused the accident, you’re not going to be able to recover against the defendant.
Your car accident lawyer in Baton Rouge is going to do their best to get you the compensation you deserve. You just have to be realistic. If there is nothing to substantiate your claim, it’s going to be difficult to recover.
Your Baton Rouge Car Accident Attorney Has to Prove You Were Injured
In order to recover against the defendant, you’re going to have to prove that you were injured. Some of the more serious injuries you may suffer in a car accident include the following:
- Spinal cord injuries – Most people who suffer a spinal cord injury end up paralyzed. You could end up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. If this happens, odds are you won’t be able to work again.
- Broken neck – Similar to a spinal cord injury, a broken neck can be debilitating. If you break your neck in a car accident, you’re going to need surgery and long-term physical therapy.
- Back injuries – Given the impact suffered, you’ll probably experience some sort of back injury. These injuries also tend to require surgery and physical therapy.
- Traumatic brain injury – Whenever you sustain a serious blow to the head, you can end up with a traumatic brain injury.
If you experience any or all of these injuries, you’re going to have a claim for damages.
Your Louisiana Injury Lawyer Must Prove That the Other Driver Was at Fault
In order to recover any damages, you need to prove that the other driver was at fault. Your Baton Rouge car accident lawyer is going to use a variety of information to do this. Some of the key pieces of evidence will include:
- Police Report – This is the report the officer will prepare when they investigate the accident scene. It includes a lot of vital information that your attorney won’t be able to get on their own.
- Expert Testimony – Based on the damage to the vehicles, an accident reconstruction specialist will be able to determine who caused the accident.
- Witness statements – If there were any witnesses to the crash, their statements may be used to prove liability.
You Deserve Compensation for Your Injuries
If you’re seriously injured in a car accident in Louisiana, you’ll be entitled to damages. Your car accident attorney is going to demand the following damages:
- Medical Bills – You’re entitled to medical bills and future medical bills. The defendant should be liable for these losses. You shouldn’t be left holding the bag if the accident wasn’t your fault. Your lawyer will use your medical records to prove how badly you were injured. Your doctor can also testify to your needing future medical treatment.
- Lost Wages – If you are out of work for some time, the defendant may argue that you could’ve gone back to work sooner than you did. Your doctor can testify that this isn’t the case. An affidavit from your doctor will carry a lot of weight with the jury.
- Pain and Suffering – The best way to prove that you were in pain is to prove it with medical records. Your car accident attorney will submit proof of your injuries. They can also have your doctor testify as to the pain associated with your injuries.
- Property Damage – Chances are, if you get into a car accident, there’s going to be some damage to your vehicle. The defendant should be held responsible for the costs of repairing or replacing that vehicle. Your Baton Rouge car accident lawyer will demand that you be compensated for these expenses.
Contact an Attorney About Your Car Accident in Louisiana Today
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you’re going to need an experienced car accident lawyer. Babcock Trial Lawyers are used to handling cases just like yours. Call today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.
The defendant will have a lawyer working for them and you should too. Let an experienced trial lawyer get you the compensation you deserve.