The Holidays are a Dangerous Time for Drunk Driving Accidents in Baton Rouge
You’ve probably started receiving all of your holiday invitations. People have parties and dinners to celebrate the holidays. There are also a lot of parties at bars and restaurants. People tend to let loose this time of year. They don’t have to work as many hours so they take advantage of it. Plus, there are a lot of events going on. They can pick and choose what they want to partake in. This means that there are a lot of people drinking and driving this time of year, and the number of drunk driving accidents increases.
There is a chance that you or your loved one could get hurt by someone driving while intoxicated. If this happens, you need to call an experienced car wreck lawyer in Baton Rouge right away.
Drunk Driving Can Lead to All Sort of Serious Accidents in Louisiana
Ideally, there will be no drunk driving accidents this holiday season in Baton Rouge. However, that simply won’t happen. Somebody is going to drink too much and then take to the road. They could be coming from a holiday party at work. Or, they may have gone to a friend’s house for a holiday dinner. Most of these events involved drinking cocktails. This is especially true around the holidays.
Some of the most common types of accidents caused by drunk driving include:
- Speeding – When people drink and drive, they take risks they wouldn’t normally take. They drive way to fast. They take curves and winding roads a lot faster than they should.
- Falling Asleep at the Wheel – When people drink, they can tired suddenly. One minute their foot is on the gas the next they’re passed out at their steering wheel. This can cause them to drive right into oncoming traffic.
- Wrong-Way Collisions – Only two types of people drive down the street the wrong way – people who lose control of their car and drunk drivers. These accidents tend to cause very serious accidents.
- Head-On Collisions – If someone smashes into your car head-on, there’s a good chance you could suffer fatal injuries. The impact is so severe that you’ll be lucky to survive.
When people decide to drink and get behind the wheel, they put a lot of people at risk. They risk themselves and their passengers. They also risk hurting or killing innocent motorists. This doesn’t even include all the passengers they could injure.
Drunk Driving Accidents Tend to Cause Significant Damages
Drunk driving accidents tend to be the most dangerous types of crashes. When people drink and drive, they don’t account for the risk they’re creating for themselves and others. If they did, they wouldn’t have driven in the first place.
Insurance companies are usually willing to settle drunk driving cases. They dont want the negative publicity of these types of accidents. They also know that judges and juries are very sympathetic to victims of drunk driving accidents. Your Baton Rouge car accident lawyer is aware of this. That’s why they’ll ask for the most amount of damages they can justify.
Some of these damages include:
- Medical Bills – You shouldn’t have to pay your own medical bills in a drunk driving crash. You probably had no part in causing the crash, so you should have no part in paying for your medical treatment.
- Lost Wages – If you missed weeks or months from work, the defendant needs to compensate you for this.
- Property Damage – If your car is damaged or destroyed, the defendant’s insurance company needs to take care of these costs.
Make sure you give your attorney the information they need to prove your damages. This includes receipts, explanation of benefit forms from the insurance company and hospital records.
Call an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
There is never a good reason for someone to drink and drive. So when someone crashes into your vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, it is more than frustrating. You could have your entire family in the car at the time of the crash. You could suffer serious injuries or even death. If this happens, the other party needs to pay. Their insurance company needs to take care of any damages you’ve suffered.
Call our office and talk to one of our experienced attorneys. They’ll review your case and find out what the insurance adjuster’s position is. If they refuse to pay your claim, they’ll have no problem filing a lawsuit on your behalf. You’re entitled to damages and your attorney will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve.