Things That Can Jeopardize Your Baton Rouge Auto Accident Lawsuit
The whole point of hiring a Baton Rouge auto accident lawyer after your car accident is so you can get damages. Anyone can file their own insurance claim. It’s not that difficult. And, if the insurance company is going to pay your claim, there’s really no reason to hire a car accident attorney. It isn’t until your claim is denied that you need legal help.
When you do decide you need an attorney, you need to give them the best chance at winning your case. This means you want to avoid doing things that can jeopardize your claim. Some of these things are:
- You don’t receive medical treatment after your car accident
- You miss the statute of limitations
- You talk about your case on social media
- You don’t call the police when you get into a car crash
- You don’t file your insurance claim on time
While these things don’t make it impossible to win your case, they can make it difficult. You want to give your lawyer every opportunity to get you the compensation you deserve. But lawyers are not magicians. There are some things that you may do that make their job near impossible.
That’s why, if you do get into a car accident in Louisiana, you may want to call an experienced trial lawyer right away. They can make sure your case is handled properly right from the start.
Things to Do Immediately After Your Crash
For the most part, as long as you use common sense, you should be okay. After your car accident, there are certain things you need to do. This is partly so you can make sure you’re okay. But it’s also so you can preserve your legal claim.
You should make sure you follow these steps immediately after your Baton Rouge car accident:
- Call the police – The cops will come to the scene and do a thorough investigation. They’ll also prepare a police report. This report will contain valuable information that your Baton Rouge trial lawyer needs to prepare your case. Some of this information includes:
- License, registration and insurance information for the other driver
- Witness statements
- Pictures of the accident scene
- Description of the road conditions
- Any traffic citations issued
- Go to the hospital – No matter how minor the accident, you really should go to the hospital and get checked out. You have no idea how bad your injuries are. First of all, you’re in shock. Second, you’re not a doctor. The doctor will do the necessary tests to determine how bad your injuries are. These tests may include:
- Physical examination
- Blood tests
- Neurological tests
- File your insurance claim – Most insurance companies require that you file your claim within a couple days of your accident. If you miss this window, your claim will be denied. Your trial lawyer in Louisiana can try to appeal your claim, but if you missed the deadline, it may be difficult or impossible to do this.
- Contact an experienced trial lawyer in Baton Rouge – You need to focus on recovering from your injuries. Call a skilled attorney who can handle the legal side of things for you.
Don’t Make Any of The Common Mistakes After Your Baton Rouge Auto Accident
As long as you follow the above steps, you should be okay. However, there are certain common mistakes people make that can jeopardize their legal claims. You want to avoid the following mistakes that some plaintiffs make:
- They don’t call the police
- They agree to just walk away from the crash without exchanging insurance information
- They refuse medical treatment
- They wait too long to file their insurance claim
- They don’t hire a lawyer until after the statute of limitations has run
- They make comments on social media about how they were actually responsible for the crash
These are the kinds of things that can cost you the compensation you deserve. Your attorney is going to need enough evidence to prove that you were injured. This means they’ll need proof of your medical treatment and the police report.
Contact an Experienced Trial Lawyer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
If you get into a car accident, you need to use some common sense. Don’t do anything that will make your lawyer’s job any harder than it has to be. That’s why it’s a good idea to call an experienced Baton Rouge auto accident lawyer right away. They can make sure you don’t make any costly mistakes.
Call Babcock Trial Lawyers today and schedule your free initial consultation. And remember – you pay nothing until you settle your claim.