Safety Tips to Avoid a Motorcycle Accident in Baton Rouge
If you or your loved one are injured in a motorcycle accident in Baton Rouge, you’re going to suffer some pretty serious injuries. Your bike may be damaged or even destroyed. You’ll be out of work for a while recovering from your injuries. This means you’ll need an experienced trial lawyer in Baton Rouge.
And, while the motorcycle accident attorneys in Baton Rouge welcome your business, they’d rather you not get hurt in the first place. Nothing is more important than your health. If you can avoid getting into a motorcycle accident from the start, your trial lawyer will be more than pleased.
The trial lawyers in Baton Rouge have seen their share of dangerous motorcycle accidents. Some of their clients are hurt so bad they become permanently disabled. Others don’t even survive the accident. Rather than become an accident statistic, you’re better off practicing the safety tips described in this article.
No matter how safe you are, however, there is a chance that you’ll get into an accident. That’s why they call them accidents. Nobody plans to get into a motorcycle crash. But, if it does happen to you, then rest assured there is an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer here in Baton Rouge that can help.
What are the Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
In order to know how to avoid getting into a motorcycle accident, you should know what the most common causes of motorcycle accidents are. It’s important to know what not to do in order to keep you and your loved one’s safe.
Some of the more common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Speeding – Just because your motorcycle can go 80 to 100-mph doesn’t mean you should drive that fast. When you speed, you’re liable to crash into another car or SUV. When you’re on a motorcycle, you can hit a pebble or pothole and lose control of your bike. You never want to do this when you’re going over 55 or 60-mph.
- Poor Road Conditions – Most people are wise enough to only ride their bikes when the weather is decent. When it’s sunny or overcast, it’s a perfect day to ride. However, if it’s raining or snowing, you really shouldn’t ride your motorcycle. Poor road conditions are one of the leading causes of motorcycle crashes in Baton Rouge.
- Losing Control of the Motorcycle – If you lose control of a car or SUV, you can typically gain control back before anything disastrous happens. The same can’t be said for a motorcycle. Because there’s nothing that stands between you and your motorcycle, losing control for just a moment can be very dangerous or even deadly.
- Weaving In and Out of Traffic – Motorcycle riders tend to like to weave in and out of traffic. Because they’re smaller, motorcycles can be navigated a lot easier than cars and SUVs. However, this is one of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents. When you weave in and out of lanes, other cars don’t see you. This is a really dangerous thing to do and should be avoided.
If you want to avoid getting into an accident, you should avoid doing all of these things. It’s not worth the risk.
Being Prepared is the Best Defense
Even if you avoid risky behaviors, there is still a chance you can get into an accident. This is why you need to be prepared. You have to make sure you wear the necessary safety gear to protect you in case of an accident.
Some of the protective gear you need to wear includes:
- Helmet – Make sure you and any passengers you have on your bike are wearing helmets at all times. If you’re ejected from the bike, you can suffer a traumatic brain injury. This can change your life as you know it.
- Boots – You never want to wear sneakers or flip-flops while riding a motorcycle. Make sure you wear thick boots.
- Armored Jacket – There are jackets that are made with an armored exterior to protect you in case of a crash. This can save your life if you’re dragged along the road following a serious motorcycle accident.
- Gloves – You should always wear riding gloves while on your bike. This can protect your hands from burns should you get into an accident.
If you wear the right safety gear, you’ll reduce your chances of getting seriously hurt or killed in the event of a motorcycle accident in Baton Rouge. However, if you do get into a crash, you need to call an experienced attorney at Babcock Trial Lawyers today. They’ll work hard to make sure you get the compensation you deserve.