Three Things You Don’t Want to Do After Your Baton Rouge Car Wreck
If you get into a Baton Rouge car wreck, there are a few things you need to do. It doesn’t matter how minor the crash is. It also doesn’t matter whether you got into an accident with a truck driver or an Uber driver. The same rules apply.
The three things you want to do after a car accident in Louisiana are as follows:
- Call the police. They’ll come out and investigate the accident scene. They’ll check to make sure both drivers are licensed and insured. They’ll also get the contact information for any witnesses.
- Go to the hospital. Even if you think your injuries are minor, you need medical attention. If you don’t go to the hospital, your Baton Rouge accident attorney won’t have any way to prove you were injured.
- Call an accident lawyer in Baton Rouge. There is too much at stake to try to handle this yourself.
Here are a few tips on how to handle your car accident lawsuit in Louisiana.
It’s Important That You Take Certain Steps After Your Crash
Even if your injuries are minor, you shouldn’t have to be responsible for any out of pocket expenses. You don’t want to make a simple mistake that costs you your car accident claim. You also don’t want to make your Baton Rouge car accident lawyer’s job any harder than it already is.
Some of the biggest mistakes people make after their car accident include:
- They agree to not call the police. This means there’s a good chance they won’t get accurate information from the other driver. It also means you won’t get a police report. Without a police report, your car accident attorney in Baton Rouge will have a very difficult time proving your case.
- They refuse medical treatment. No matter how minor you think your injuries are, you have to go to the hospital. You could have internal injuries such as a traumatic brain injury. If left untreated, these injuries can prove fatal. You also need to get treatment so your lawyer can prove you were injured.
- They try to deal with the insurance company on your own. They will try to take advantage of you. They’ll either deny your claim or offer you a lowball settlement. They won’t try to take advantage of your lawyer.
It’s really in your best interest to contact an experienced car accident lawyer right away. They’ll make sure your claim is handled properly from the start. They’ll also negotiate to get you as much money as possible.
You Want Your Baton Rouge Car Wreck Attorney to Get You Damages
In a perfect world, your insurance claim would be paid without question. You’ll get your check in a week or two. However, we don’t live in a perfect world. Insurance companies deny claims all the time. If this happens, your Baton Rouge car accident lawyer will have to file suit. The point of filing suit is to get you compensation for your injuries.
Your car accident attorney in Baton Rouge is going to demand the following damages:
- Medical Bills – You’re entitled to medical bills and future medical bills. The defendant should be liable for these losses. You shouldn’t be left holding the bag if the accident wasn’t your fault. Your lawyer will use your medical records to prove how badly you were injured. Your doctor can also testify to your needing future medical treatment.
- Lost Wages – If you are out of work for some time, the defendant may argue that you could’ve gone back to work sooner than you did. Your doctor can testify that this isn’t the case. An affidavit from your doctor will carry a lot of weight with the jury.
- Pain and Suffering – The best way to prove that you were in pain is to prove it with medical records.
- Property Damage – Chances are, if you get into a car accident, there’s going to be some damage to your vehicle. The defendant should be held responsible for the costs of repairing or replacing that vehicle. Your Baton Rouge car accident lawyer will demand that you be compensated for these expenses.
Contact an Experienced Car accident Attorney in Baton Rouge Today
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you’re going to need an experienced car accident lawyer. Babcock Trial Lawyers are used to handling cases just like yours. Call today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.
The defendant will have a lawyer working for them and you should too. Let an experienced trial lawyer get you the compensation you deserve.