Three Things You Don’t Want to Do After Your Baton Rouge Car Wreck
If you get into a Baton Rouge car wreck, there are a few things you need to do. It doesn’t matter how minor the crash is. It also doesn’t matter whether you got into an accident with a truck driver or an Uber driver. The same rules apply.
The three things you want to do after a car accident in Louisiana are as follows:
- Call the police. They’ll come out and investigate the accident scene. They’ll check to make sure both drivers are licensed and insured. They’ll also get the contact information for any witnesses.
- Go to the hospital. Even if you think your injuries are minor, you need medical attention. If you don’t go to the hospital, your Baton Rouge accident attorney won’t have any way to prove you were injured.
- Call an accident lawyer in Baton Rouge. There is too much at stake to try to handle this yourself.
Here are a few tips on how to handle your car accident lawsuit in Louisiana.
It’s Important That You Take Certain Steps After Your Crash
Even if your injuries are minor, you shouldn’t have to be responsible for any out of pocket expenses. You don’t want to make a simple mistake that costs you your car accident claim. You also don’t want to make your Baton Rouge car accident lawyer’s job any harder than it already is.
Some of the biggest mistakes people make after their car accident include:
- They give in an tell the other driver they won’t call the cops This means they won’t get a police report. Without this report, your attorney’s going to have quite a time proving what happened.
- They won’t go to the hospital. This really isn’t an option. Whether you think you’re injured or not, this is a must. From a legal perspective, this is the only way to prove you were injured. From a practical standpoint, it’s the only way to make sure you’re okay after your crash. There are all sort of injuries that don’t rear their ugly head until you get tests done. They can do this for you in the emergency room.
- Some people think they can work on an even playing field with the insurance company. This is rarely the case. They will try to take advantage of you. They won’t try to take advantage of your lawyer.
It’s really in your best interest to contact an experienced car accident lawyer right away. They’ll make sure your claim is handled properly from the start. They’ll also negotiate to get you as much money as possible.
You Want Your Baton Rouge Car Wreck Attorney to Get You Damages
In a perfect world, your insurance claim would be paid without question. You’ll get your check in a week or two. However, we don’t live in a perfect world. Insurance companies deny claims all the time. If this happens, your Baton Rouge car accident lawyer will have to file suit. The point of filing suit is to get you compensation for your injuries.
Your car accident attorney in Baton Rouge is going to demand the following damages:
- Medical Bills – It’s not always so easy to prove your medical bills. Sure, you can produce copies of your medical records. But, what do you do if the defendant claims you had a pre-existing condition? They can argue you would’ve needed this treatment no matter what. Your attorney can help overcome this claim.
- Lost Wages – Some people think that being out of work after an accident is like being on vacation. They don’t realize that, not only are you in pain, but you’re not being paid either. Some people can’t wait to settle their case-they have no way to pay their bills.
- Property Damage – Your car or SUV was probably damaged in the crash. Get estimates from at least two mechanics so you can show your damages were reasonable. And, if your auto insurance company already covered these expenses, they’ll be the ones reimbursed when your case settles.
Contact an Experienced Car accident Attorney in Baton Rouge Today
Some people know exactly what to do after a Baton Rouge car wreck. Others have no idea. People make mistakes. If you don’t do the right thing after a car crash, it can cost you dearly down the line. Your Baton Rouge accident attorney has seen many clients lose their case because of how they acted in the minutes following their car crash. Contact us today for help with your car accident case.