Is the Tractor Trailer Driver Always Responsible for Your Truck Accident?
It’s really easy to point the finger at the other driver when we get into a motor vehicle accident. And, it’s even easier to blame a tractor trailer driver for your truck accident. Most people tend to look at truck drivers as aggressive and selfish. They don’t realize that truck drivers try to be as careful as possible. However, the truth is, the truck driver is usually the one at fault.
Part of the reason the courts and juries tend to blame the truck driver is the sheer size of their vehicles. A passenger vehicle doesn’t stand a chance up against a tractor trailer. The other reason is that it’s usually the car driver who suffers serious injuries in a truck accident. The truck driver typically suffers only minor injuries, if they’re injured at all.
Because of the bias against truck drivers, it’s important that your Baton Rouge truck accident attorney work hard to prove your case. You can’t take it for granted that the truck driver will be found liable. Your lawyer will need to gather evidence to prove your claim.
If you or your loved one are injured in a truck accident in Louisiana, you really should call a skilled attorney. You don’t want to risk handling this yourself. There’s too much at stake. Plus, you need to focus on recovering from your injuries. Let your Baton Rouge truck accident lawyer handle the legal side of things.
You Need to Prove That the Truck Driver Was at Fault
It’s important to understand that you can’t just point the finger at the truck driver. The jury is going to want to see proof that the truck driver caused your accident. Some of the most common causes of tractor trailer accidents include:
- Speeding – Because they try to canvas as many miles as possible, some truck driver tend to drive faster than they should.
- Driver Fatigue – Truck drivers usually work 10-12 hours shifts. Some of them work 6 days a week. It’s no surprise that they get overtired.
- Driver Inexperience – Driving a tractor trailer is one of the most difficult jobs. It takes quite some time for a driver to get the experience necessary to drive a truck.
- Distracted Driving – Even truck drivers make mistakes. They could be texting and driving or maybe they’re trying to eat lunch while behind the wheel.
- Poor Road Conditions – When it rains or it snows, the roads become very dangerous. This is even more true for truck drivers.
Your Attorney Will Pursue the Tractor Trailer Driver and His Employer for Damages
If you get into a truck accident in Baton Rouge, you need to file a claim against all possible defendants. At a minimum, you need to file your claim against the driver and his employer. You want to maximize your chances of getting compensation for your injuries.
Your truck accident attorney in Baton Rouge is going to demand the following damages:
- Medical Bills – You’re entitled to medical bills and future medical bills. The defendant should be liable for these losses. You shouldn’t be left holding the bag if the accident wasn’t your fault. Your lawyer will use your medical records to prove how badly you were injured. Your doctor can also testify to your needing future medical treatment.
- Lost Wages – If you are out of work for some time, the defendant may argue that you could’ve gone back to work sooner than you did. Your doctor can testify that this isn’t the case. An affidavit from your doctor will carry a lot of weight with the jury.
- Pain and Suffering – The best way to prove that you were in pain is to prove it with medical records.
- Property Damage – Chances are, if you get into a truck accident, there’s going to be some damage to your vehicle. The defendant should be held responsible for the costs of repairing or replacing that vehicle. Your Baton Rouge truck accident lawyer will demand that you be compensated for these expenses.
Contact an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney in Baton Rouge Today
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you’re going to need an experienced truck accident lawyer. Trial lawyers in Baton Rouge are used to handling cases just like yours. Call Babcock Trial Lawyers today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.
The defendant will have a lawyer working for them and you should too. Let an experienced trial lawyer get you the compensation you deserve.