Why do Truck Accidents Happen in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?
Ask most people and they’ll tell you they don’t like sharing the road with truck drivers. They drive huge machines and tend to intimidate other people on the road. And, with people ordering most of their products online, there seem to be more trucks on the road than ever before.
More trucks on the road means more truck accidents. These are some of the most dangerous accidents. The sheer size of a tractor trailer makes them a threat to any passenger vehicle. When they crash into a car, the damage is quite severe.
Most truck accident victims end up with pretty serious injuries. They can’t help it. And, most of the time, the car driver suffers much more serious injuries than the truck driver. This is because the truck driver is protected by his huge vehicle. Your car doesn’t stand a chance against the giant truck.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a truck accident in Louisiana, you need to call a Baton Rouge trial lawyer. They understand some of the major causes of truck accidents. They also know how to prove that the truck driver was indeed responsible for your injuries.
Why Aren’t Truck Drivers More Careful?
Like we mentioned earlier, a lot of people assume that truck drivers aren’t careful. It’s as if they think tractor trailer drivers wake up in the morning determined to mow down innocent drivers. This isn’t the case.
Truck drivers try to be careful. They take their job seriously. They train hard to make sure they know how to operate their machine. But truck drivers are human just like you and me. They make mistakes. They get into accidents.
This is why most truck accidents are based on negligence. To prove negligence, your Baton Rouge trial lawyer must show the following:
- The truck driver owed you a duty of care – This one is pretty easy. All drivers owe other people on the road a duty of care. We all have to obey all traffic laws as well.
- He breached this duty – If the truck driver didn’t do what he was supposed to do, he can be held negligent.
- You were injured – You have to suffer an actual injury in order to recover in a personal injury lawsuit.
- Your injuries were caused by the accident – If something other than the truck accident caused your injuries, you won’t recover against the defendant.
If your Baton Rouge trial lawyer proves these four (4) things, you have a good shot at receiving compensation for your injuries.
What Causes Most Louisiana Truck Accidents?
Most truck accidents are caused by the same things. These causes aren’t all that different from regular car accidents. The difference is, the truck driver is a professional. He is held to a much higher standard than the rest of us.
Commercial trucking companies make their employees spend months learning how to drive a tractor trailer. However, even the most careful drivers make mistakes. Some of the main causes include:
- Distracted driving – The truck driver may not be paying attention to the road. He could be texting or eating his lunch. Taking your eyes off the road for just a few seconds is like driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed.
- Overtired -In order to pay their bills, a lot of truck drivers take on extra shifts. This means that they could be driving 50-60 hours a week. This would make anyone tired.
- Too large a load – Truckers try to get as much product shipped as possible. They may end up loading too much on their truck. This can cause them to lose control of their truck and crash into another car.
- Drunk driving – Truck drivers are just like everyone else. They do things they shouldn’t. They may stop at a bar and have a few drinks, or take drugs to stay awake. These things cause very serious accidents.
Call to Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation with a Baton Rouge Trial Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you need to call a Baton Rouge trial lawyer today. The attorneys at Babcock Trial Lawyers in Baton Rouge have the experience it takes to get you the compensation you deserve.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation. You can sit down with an attorney and ask any questions you may have. He can also review your case and let you know what it may be worth.
The consultation is free and you pay nothing until you win your case.