A Louisiana native, Stephen Babcock has developed a reputation for taking on high-profile cases involving catastrophic personal injury matters and bet-the-company business disputes.
Baton Rouge Injury Attorney | Stephen Babcock
Born and raised outside of Ruston, La., Stephen attended Louisiana Tech University, where he received a B.S. in marketing in 1997. Already a licensed real estate agent at the time, his intention was to go to law school and become a title attorney. However, shortly after he began his studies at Louisiana State University’s Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Babcock changed his mind and realized he wanted to be a trial lawyer.
After receiving his J.D. in 2000, he launched his legal career, joining Allstate Insurance Co. as an in-house trial attorney. A year later, he joined the law firm of McKay Williamson Lutgring & Cochran as an associate attorney handling mostly personal injury cases. In 2003, he ventured out to create his own firm, which would inevitably become Babcock Injury Lawyers. Babcock has served clients’ legal needs from his Baton Rouge office ever since.
Litigation in State and Federal Courts
Stephen tries cases when he has to. His practice focuses solely on litigation, and he has tried cases in state and federal courts throughout Louisiana. Stephe has litigated over $125 million in injury and business disputes. A licensed pilot, Babcock often flies to his destinations to more efficiently make use of his time for clients. Although he never turns down the chance to try cases before juries, Babcock is also a strong proponent of alternative dispute resolution and participates in mediations and arbitrations as much as possible.
Just a small sampling of his cases include:
- Client from Baton Rouge, who got $2 million.
- Client from Michigan, who got $11.5 million.
- Client from Baton Rouge, who got $675,000.
- Client from Baton Rouge, who got $950,000.
- Client from Baker, who got $1.3 million.
- Client from West Palm Beach, who got $1 million.
- Client from Red Oak, Texas, who got $650,000.
- Client from Shreveport, who got $2 million.
- Client from Baton Rouge who got $15,000.
These obviously aren’t Stephen’s largest wins or his most public victories. They are simply the ones he’s the most proud of because of the impact they had on the clients he represented.
He also represented the sportsmen’s organization Ducks Unlimited in a million-dollar federal lawsuit involving a New Orleans artist’s prints. Babcock’s work resulted in a voluntary dismissal of the case.
Stephen also made the national news in early 2008 when LSU played Ohio State for the BCS National Football Championship game. Babcock — an ardent LSU football fan — was successful in convincing a state judge to delay a trial that was scheduled to occur at the same time as the game (which LSU won, 38-24).
National and State Recognition
Babcock’s work has earned the recognition of a number of professional and legal organizations. An incomplete list includes:
- 2023 Louisiana Lawyer of the Year award by Top 100 Lawyers
- “Top Ten Personal Injury Attorney in Baton Rouge” by the National Academy of Personal Injury Attorneys.
- U.S. News and World Report’s Best Lawyer in Personal Injury every year since 2015
- U.S. News & World Report Best Law Firm every year since 2015
- Huffington Post said Stephen was one of “The 3 Trial Attorneys You Don’t Want to Face, but Who You Definitely Want on Your Side.”
- 10.0 “Superb” rating in the Avvo legal directory. 10.0 is as good as it gets.
- Martindale-Hubbell coveted Client Distinction Award for excellence in client service.
- LSU One Hundred Fastest Growing Tiger Owned Businesses in both 2021 and 2022
- Law Firm 500 – Top 500 Fastest Growing Law Firms in the Country in 2020 and 2021
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated (highest award available) every year since 2003
- Louisiana Super Lawyer every year since 2014
- Louisiana Super Lawyer Rising Star (under 40) in 2012 and 2013
- Founding member of Trial Masters
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum since 2013
- Baton Rouge Business Report Top Forty Under 40 in 2007
- Baton Rouge Advocate People on the Move in 2012
- A.M. Best Company Recommended Attorney in 2015
- 2024 Law Leaders
- Louisiana State Bar Association Stephen T. Victory Award winner in 2002
- Baton Rouge Bar Association President’s Award in 2022, the highest award given by the Baton Rouge Bar Association.
People hire Stephen when their choice of a lawyer is of paramount importance because of either the size of the case or what’s at stake in the litigation. He has been awarded just about every recognition that a lawyer can obtain, and maintains a robust client list.
Stephen is in high demand, but if you need a lawyer to assist with your case, give Stephen a call. The call is free, and if he agrees to take your case, it just might be the best decision you’ve ever made.