Truck Accident Attorneys in Baton Rouge, LA
If you have been injured in a traffic collision involving a commercial truck, you may be wondering what to do next and how to protect your rights. Whether it’s a semi-truck, big rig, commercial truck, or any other type of truck, these vehicles can cause serious injuries and even death.
If you or a loved one have been involved in a truck accident, it is important to contact an experienced Baton Rouge truck accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Don’t wait to get help after a truck accident. The sooner you contact our attorneys in Baton Rouge, LA, the sooner we can investigate your claim and protect your rights.
To schedule a free consultation, call us today at or fill out the form.
The attorneys at Babcock Injury have represented many clients who have been injured in all types of truck accidents, including those caused by:
- Driver fatigue
- Distracted driving
- Reckless driving
- Unsafe lane changes
- Following too closely
- Faulty equipment or maintenance issues
- Weather Conditions
What Causes Semi-Truck Accidents?
There are many different factors that can contribute to an accident. In some cases, it may be due to driver error, while in others, it may be due to issues with the truck itself. Some common causes of truck accidents include:
Driver fatigue: Truck drivers often drive for long hours and may become fatigued. This can lead to them making mistakes on the road and causing accidents.
Distracted driving: Distractions can lead to truck drivers missing important cues and causing accidents.
Reckless driving: Reckless driving, such as speeding or tailgating, can increase the risk of an accident occurring.
Faulty equipment or maintenance issues: If a truck’s brakes are not properly maintained, it can lead to an accident.
What Are the Common Injuries After a Truck Accident?
Due to the size and weight of commercial trucks, accidents involving these vehicles can often result in serious injuries. Some common injuries that we see after truck accidents include:
Head injuries: Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, are some of the most common injuries we see after catastrophic accidents. These injuries can often be life-threatening and may require long-term medical care.
Neck and back injuries: Whiplash and other neck and back injuries are also common after truck accidents. These injuries can cause pain and suffering and may require extensive medical treatment.
Broken bones: Broken bones are another common injury after truck accidents. These injuries can be painful and may require surgery or other medical treatment.
Burns: Burns can often be very severe after a truck accident. These injuries may require extensive medical treatment and can lead to scarring or disfigurement.
Cuts, Lacerations: Cuts and lacerations are also common injuries after truck accidents. These injuries may require stitches or other medical treatment.
Bruising, Contusions: Bruising and contusions are also common injuries after truck accidents. These injuries may be painful and may require medical treatment. I some instances, a bruise can lead to more serious injuries due to internal bleeding.
What Should I Do After a Truck Accident?
If you have been involved in a truck accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention: The first thing you should do after a truck accident is to seek medical attention. Even if you don’t think you are injured, it is important to get checked out by a medical professional.
- Contact an experienced Baton Rouge truck accident lawyer: The next step is to contact an experienced truck accident lawyer who can help you protect your rights.
- Gather evidence: It is important to gather evidence after a truck accident. This may include taking pictures of the scene of the accident, getting the contact information of witnesses, and collecting your medical records.
- Do not wait: It is important to act quickly after a truck accident. There are deadlines for filing a claim, so it is important to contact truck accident lawyers as soon as possible.
Where Do the Majority of Semi-Truck Accidents Happen in Baton Rouge?
Most people are unaware that the majority of semi-truck accidents happen right here in Baton Rouge. In fact, there are more big truck accidents in Baton Rouge than in any other city in Louisiana.
This is due to the heavy traffic on I-10 and I-12, as well as the many construction projects that are constantly underway. The good news is that most of these trucking accidents are not serious, and there are only a handful of fatal accidents each year.
However, it is still important to be aware of the dangers that semi-trucks pose on the road and to take steps to avoid them. If you are involved in an accident with a semi-truck, it is important to seek medical attention immediately, as injuries from these accidents can be severe.
The Importance of Hiring an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney
If you have been involved in a Baton Rouge truck accident, it is important to hire an experienced truck accident attorney in Baton Rouge; we understand the laws and regulations that apply to these cases and can help you navigate the legal process. Our experienced legal team will investigate your accident, gather evidence, and build a strong accident claim on your behalf.
Commercial Trucks and Tuck Accidents in Baton Rouge, LA
A commercial truck is a large vehicle used to transport goods or materials. These trucks are often much larger than passenger vehicles and can weigh up to 80,000 pounds. Due to their size and weight, accidents involving commercial trucks can often be devastating.
What to Look out for In a Truck Accident Claim
Commercial drivers have been known to cover up the accident by altering log books; this is known as “log book violations.” Some of the other things trucking companies have been caught doing to cover up an accident are:
- Not stopping at the scene of an accident
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- Failing to report an accident
- Not exchanging information with the other driver
- Not contacting the police
- Failing to cooperate with the police
- Not cooperating with an investigation
- Not providing a statement to the insurance company
What You Need to Prove in a Truck Accident Claim
If you have been involved in an accident, there are certain things that you will need to prove in order to recover damages. These include:
- The truck driver was at fault for the accident: You will need to show that the truck driver was at fault for the accident. This may be done by showing that the driver was speeding, driving recklessly, or violating traffic laws.
- You suffered damages: You will need to show that you suffered damages as a result of the accident. These damages may include medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage.
- The truck driver was negligent: You will need to show that the truck driver was negligent in causing the accident. This may be done by showing that the driver was not paying attention, was driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or was not following the rules of the road.
The Time Limit on Filing a Truck Accident Claim
If you have suffered injuries after being involved in an accident in Baton Rouge, LA you have a limited amount of time to file a personal injury claim. The statute of limitations in Louisiana is one year from the date of the accident. This means that you must file a lawsuit within one year of the date of the accident or you will be barred from doing so.
See Louisiana Civil Code section 3492
Types of Compensation in a Personal Injury Claim Involving a Commercial Vehicle
If you are successful in your personal injury claim, you may be awarded damages for your injuries. These damages may include the following:
- Medical bills: You may be compensated for your past and future medical bills related to the accident.
- Lost wages: You may be compensated for the wages you lost as a result of the accident and even future lost wages.
- Pain and suffering: You may be compensated for the pain and suffering you experienced as a result of the accident.
- Property damage: You may be compensated for the property damage you suffered as a result of the accident.
- Punitive damages: You may be awarded punitive damages in some cases if the truck driver was grossly negligent in causing the accident.
Wrongful Death in Truck Accidents
If you have lost a loved one in a truck accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim against the truck driver or the trucking company. In order to do so, you must be able to prove that the truck driver was at fault for the accident and that your loved one died as a result of the accident. You may also be able to recover compensation for your own losses, such as the loss of your loved one’s companionship.
Commercial Truck Accidents and Insurance Companies
Chances are if you are in a traffic accident involving a commercial vehicle you will need to deal with insurance companies and insurance adjusters.
It’s important to know that insurance companies are not on your side and aim to pay you as little as possible or nothing at all.
This is why it’s so important to have an experienced Baton Rouge truck accident lawyer on your side who can negotiate with the insurance companies and get you the full compensation you deserve.
In some cases, insurance companies and insurance adjusters will use tactics to try to get you to settle your case for less than it’s worth. They may try to downplay the severity of your injuries, or they may try to delay settlement until you are desperate for money.
Don’t fall for these tactics. Don’t sign anything, and do not talk about the accident with anyone other than a lawyer.
How an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney in Baton Rouge Can Help You
If you have been involved in a truck accident, hiring an experienced truck accident attorney is important. We will investigate your accident, gather evidence, and build a strong case on your behalf. We will also negotiate with the insurance companies and fight for the compensation you deserve. Contact us today at (225) 240-4053 for a free consultation or fill out the form.