How Many People Die Every Year from Drowsy Driving?
A lot of people think the most dangerous type of accident is a drunk driving accident. And, for the most part, this is true. But another very dangerous type of crash can be one caused by drowsy driving.
When people work double shifts or are on the road for a day and a half traveling, they get super tired. Then they get behind the wheel. Reaction times slow way down when you haven’t had enough sleep. And a lot of people don’t realize that they’re overtired. They figure they’re only driving a few miles. What could go wrong?
The problem is, when you’re overtired, you could end up falling asleep behind the wheel. Even if you don’t actually fall asleep, you could nod off for just a second or two. Taking your eyes off the road for just a few seconds is like driving the length of a football field with your eyes closed. It is extremely dangerous.
Thousands of people every year are injured in drowsy driving accidents. If this happens to you or your loved one, you need to call a car wreck attorney in Baton Rouge.
What Causes Drowsy Driving in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?
A lot of us drive when we probably shouldn’t. Maybe you worked overtime at your job. Or perhaps you pulled an all-night preparing for a big move. It happens to the best of us. The important thing is to recognize when we’re too tired to drive.
Most people realize they’re overtired but get behind the wheel anyway. They simply don’t realize how dangerous it is to drive when you’re that tired. So they figure the worst that can happen is it takes them a little longer to get home than normal.
Some of the reasons people drive while drowsy include:
- Worked too many hours
- Haven’t slept for a few days for personal reasons
- Took medication that made the driver drowsy
- Didn’t get enough sleep the night before
- Was staring at a computer screen for too long
You can probably think back to a time when you drove when you were way too tired. Yu can probably remember how hard it was to stay focused. There’s no reason to operate any heavy machinery when you’re this tired and that includes a motor vehicle.
What Kinds of Injuries Does Drowsy Driving Cause?
If someone gets into an accident caused by drowsy driving, they’re likely to cause serious injuries. The victims have no way to know the accident is coming. There’s no way for them to avoid the collision. This is because the drowsy driver usually loses control of his car.
Some of the injuries caused by drowsy driving can be quite serious. They include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) – These injuries are caused when you suffer a severe blow to the head. You may not even be aware that you’ve suffered a TBI right away. Some of the signs and symptoms of a brain injury are:
- Ringing in ears
- Blurred vision
- Inability to sleep or fatigue
If left untreated, a TBI can be very dangerous, even deadly.
- Back or Neck Injuries – Depending on how the car crashes into you, you may suffer a neck or back injuries. This usually includes disc herniations or nerve damages. You can also tear muscles or tendons. These types of injuries often require surgery and long-term physical therapy.
- Facial Disfigurement – If you’re thrown through the windshield, you may end up with facial disfigurement. Not only is this painful, but it can lead to lifelong anxiety and social issues. You may require several series of cosmetic surgeries to correct it.
- Broken Bones – Obviously, a lot of accident victims suffer broken bones. This could include broken wrists, arms or legs.
- Internal Injuries – These are so dangerous because you have no way of knowing you’ve suffered internal injuries. This is why it’s so important to go to the hospital after a car accident.
If you’ve suffered any of these injuries, you need to call a Baton Rouge car wreck attorney.
Contact a Car Wreck Attorney in Baton Rouge Right Away
If you’ve been injured in a car wreck, you should contact a car wreck attorney in Baton Rouge. Your attorney can review your case and let you know what it may be worth. You can also ask any questions you may have.
Call and schedule your free initial consultation today. You need to focus on recovering from your injuries. Let your attorney focus on the legal side of things. The consultation is free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.