At some point in our lives, we’ll probably get into a car accident. Hopefully, it’ll be minor and we won’t suffer any serious injuries. However, other accidents are a lot more serious. Regardless of the type of crash you’re in, there are a few things you need to do. The first thing you need to do is call the police. There is no excuse for not doing this. Not only will you need a police report for your accident attorney in Baton Rouge, but you also need the cops to investigate the scene. There’s information they can gather that people like you and I don’t have access to.
The second thing you need to do is go to the hospital. The cops will call an ambulance for you as soon as they head to the scene. In fact, if the accident is serious enough the ambulance will arrive at the same time as the police.
Sometimes, the other driver will ask you not to call the police. He’ll offer to exchange insurance information. He may even promise to pay for your car repairs. Never take the bait. There are all kinds of reasons why he may not want to call the police. Some of these reasons include:
- He could be drunk or under the influence of drugs
- He doesn’t have a valid driver’s license
- Also, he has no insurance
- He has active warrants
- He was breaking the law at the time of the accident
It’s not your job to find out why he doesn’t want the cops to come. But it is your responsibility to call the police immediately after the crash.
Your Baton Rouge Personal Injury Lawyer Will Rely on the Police Report
As soon as the cops arrive on the scene, they’ll start their investigation. They’ll talk to the drivers and witnesses. They will block off the area so nobody can disturb the accident scene. They’ll also prepare a police report. This report will contain vital information, such as:
- The police report will contain important information such as:
- Name, license, and insurance information for both drivers
- Name and contact information for witnesses
- Statements made by both drivers
- Witness statements
- Pictures of the scene, road conditions, and the vehicles
- Whether either driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the accident
- Information regarding any citations issued as a result of the accident
Your Baton Route auto accident attorney can get some of this information on his own. However, it can be time consuming and expensive. There’s no reason to make your lawyer’s job any harder than it already is.
Your Car Accident Lawyer in Baton Rouge Understands You May be Tempted to Not Call the Police
A lot of don’t feel like waiting for the police to come to the scene. We know it’s going to take them over an hour or longer to do their investigation. We may just want to get on with our day. Your car accident lawyer in Baton Rouge knows the reasons why you may want to just take off. Some of these reasons are:
- The damage to your car is minimal
- You and the other driver agree to just handle it through your insurance companies
- The weather is terrible and you just don’t want to stand outside waiting
- You’re in a rush or late for an appointment
- You don’t think you’re hurt
- the other driver begs you not to call the police and you feel bad
While your lawyer understands this, they would caution you to always call the cops, no matter how minor the accident.
You Have to Report the Accident Anyway
Whether or not you feel like calling the police, you need to do it. Every state has laws that require you to report a car accident. In Louisiana, you must report any motor vehicle crash where the following apply:
- There’s more than $500 in property damage
- There are any complaints of injuries
- Someone died in the accident
- Any car was towed from the scene
By calling the cops, you have satisfied the reporting requirement. They’ll submit their report and you won’t have to worry about reporting it on your own. Since you have no idea what the damage to the cars really is, you don’t want to take any chances. You also have no way of knowing if anyone was injured.
Call a Baton Rouge Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you’re involved in a car accident in Louisiana, you need to contact a Baton Rouge car accident lawyer. He can review your case and let you know what it may be worth. He can also reach out to the insurance companies and try to get your claim paid.
Call and schedule your free consultation today.