A lot of people think that, if they get into a car accident in Louisiana, they’re automatically entitled to damages. They don’t realize that you have to prove two things in order to recover against the other driver. First, your Baton Rouge accident attorney needs to prove that you were injured. Second, you need to prove that the other driver was at fault.
Just getting into an accident isn’t enough to warrant damages. If you don’t suffer any actual injuries, you won’t be entitled to a dime. And, if you caused the accident, you’re not going to be able to recover against the defendant.
Your car accident lawyer in Baton Rouge is going to do their best to get you the compensation you deserve. You just have to be realistic. If there is nothing to substantiate your claim, it’s going to be difficult to recover.
Your Baton Rouge Car Accident Attorney Has to Prove You Were Injured
In order to recover against the defendant, you’re going to have to prove that you were injured. Some of the more serious injuries you may suffer in a car accident include the following:
- Spinal cord injuries – Most people who suffer a spinal cord injury end up paralyzed. You could end up in a wheelchair for the rest of your life. If this happens, odds are you won’t be able to work again.
- Broken neck – Similar to a spinal cord injury, a broken neck can be debilitating. If you break your neck in a car accident, you’re going to need surgery and long-term physical therapy.
- Back injuries – Given the impact suffered, you’ll probably experience some sort of back injury. These injuries also tend to require surgery and physical therapy.
- Traumatic brain injury – Whenever you sustain a serious blow to the head, you can end up with a traumatic brain injury.
If you experience any or all of these injuries, you’re going to have a claim for damages.
Your Louisiana Injury Lawyer Must Prove That the Other Driver Was at Fault
In order to recover any damages, you need to prove that the other driver was at fault. Your Baton Rouge car accident lawyer is going to use a variety of information to do this. Some of the key pieces of evidence will include:
- Police Report – This is the report the officer will prepare when they investigate the accident scene. It includes a lot of vital information that your attorney won’t be able to get on their own.
- Expert Testimony – Based on the damage to the vehicles, an accident reconstruction specialist will be able to determine who caused the accident.
- Witness statements – If there were any witnesses to the crash, their statements may be used to prove liability.
You Deserve Compensation for Your Injuries
The whole reason you file a car accident claim is to get money. A lawsuit doesn’t really get you justice. It can’t undo the harm that the defendant caused. But it can get you fair compensation for your injuries.
If you’re seriously injured in a car accident, you’ll be entitled to damages. Your car accident attorney in Baton Rouge is going to demand the following damages:
- Medical Bills
- Future Medical Bills
- Permanent Disability
- Lost Wages
- Pain and Suffering
- Property Damage
Depending on the facts of your case, you may deserve all or some of these damages. Until your attorney sees your file, they really won’t know. Even then, they’ll have to talk to the other side and see what their position is. They can be claiming that you caused the crash. At this point, it won’t be a matter of simply proving damages. It will be a matter of proving fault as well.
Contact an Attorney About Your Car Accident in Louisiana Today
Nobody can guarantee you that you’ll win your case after a car accident in Louisiana. And they can’t promise you that you’ll get a certain amount of money. If an attorney promises you this, then you should talk to a different lawyer. Until they’ve reviewed your case and see what the other side has for evidence, they do not know what the results of your injury claim will be
What a car accident attorney in Baton Rouge can do is tell you the truth. And they can reach out to the insurance adjuster to find out why your claim was denied. If need be, they’ll file a lawsuit on your behalf. This is why you should call our office today and set up a time to meet. We can help you with your car accident case now.